Monday, October 10, 2011

Dolphin Tale Movie Review

Note: This is an excerpt from my review published in the latest issue of The Jambalaya News.

 
Dolphin Tale 3D (Warner Bros. 2011)

I was never much a fan of Flipper or even the water shows at aquariums and such. Toss it up to my Louisiana upbringing. I’d rather see dolphins down at the Intercoastal Waterway. But this movie is very different.

Dolphin Tale is a true story, not just inspired by. A real dolphin gets to try out an artificial tail. The movie is a dramatization, but really happened. Caveat: I usually skip these kinds of true story fish movies (see above). But in this case, we have a production that might be one of the better family movies you’ll see this year.

Sawyer Nelson is a Florida boy who loses his favorite older cousin to the military, which ruins his summer. Well, to be honest, having to attend summer school doesn’t help. Early on in the film, he’s on the beach in his hometown of Clearwater and comes across a beached dolphin wrapped up in the windings of a crab trap. As he cuts it loose, a rescue team from Clearwater Marine Aquarium (sort of a Baywatch Humane Society) shows up, transferring the dolphin into a van and leaving Sawyer feeling even more isolated on the beach. 

See the rest of the review at  The Jambalaya News.

Note: I usually get called on things like this: A dolphin is a mammal, not a fish. I knew that. I was just hoping you didn't. I hark back to The Incredible Mr. Limpet, in which Don Knotts sings "I Wish I was a Fish" and gets turned into a dolphin. The song wouldn't have worked as "I wish, I wish, I wish I was a mammal." Ok, so I'm no Don Knotts. But I can dream, can't I?

Next Review: Real Steel

No comments:

Post a Comment